Information on Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Cases from our Bedsore Lawyer in Portland, Oregon
We rely on nursing homes to help care for our love one. This is particularly true when our loved ones need more care and treatment than we can provide to them. Most nursing homes do a great job handling elderly residents. However, this is not always the case. There are many possible things that could go wrong in a nursing home, rehabilitation center, or assisted living facility. These things could result in serious personal injuries or even the wrongful death of a loved one. Not only could there be medical negligence, but there could be nursing home abuse and neglect. Between both issues, one of the most common problems are pressure sores or bedsores. Our bedsore lawyer in Portland explains these dangerous injuries.
What Are Bedsores?
Bedsores are injuries to the skin and underlying tissue. It is caused by damage from constant pressure, frictions, or abrasion to the skin and tissue. This results in a breakdown of tissue. The breakdown in tissue can result in an open wound which can become infected. An untreated infection could result in sepsis. This is why bedsores are dangerous and potentially deadly.
Causes of Bedsores
Our bedsore lawyer in Portland, Oregon knows that bedsores are caused by improper care and treatment. A bedsore is typically considered to be a “never event” which means that it should not occur with the proper care and treatment of a nursing home or elder living facility. Thus, when a bedsore does occur, it is often a sign of medical malpractice or nursing home abuse and negligent. This means that a victim could be seriously injured due to the carelessness of a healthcare provider.
The most common causes of bedsores in a nursing home include the following:
- Failing to rotate residents
- Failing to get patients up and walking
- Improper mattresses and wheelchairs
- Improper nutrition
- Poor dehydration
- Resident neglect
- Delays in treating an infection
- Failing to manage diabetes properly, and
- Many other common causes.
If you suspect that any of these causes of resulted in a bedsore of you or a loved one, please ask our bedsore lawyer in Portland, Oregon for help with your case.
Stages of a Bedsores
There are four stages of bedsores. All stages are bad, but the greater the stage the more likely that it will be life-threatening. The four stages of bedsores include the following:
- Stage 1: Mild, where the damage is just the outer layer of skin and results in redness, burning, pain, and general uncomfortableness.
- Stage 2: Medium, when the skin breaks and there is some damage in the underlying layers of tissue. This stage results in bleeding, blisters, redness, swollen, and similar harm.
- Stage 3: Moderate, when the damage is through to the fatty layer. This results in bleeding and even necrotic tissue. An infection is very likely and it is likely to result in serious harm.
- Stage 4: Severe and life-threatening. This is when muscle and underlying structures are being damaged and suffer serious personal injuries. This means that a victim could be permanently injured from the bedsore. Always ask a bedsore lawyer in Portland, Oregon for help when a case gets this severe.
Kuhlman Law Can Help Bedsore Victims in Portland, Oregon
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured or killed as a result of nursing home abuse or neglect contact the Oregon Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers at Kuhlman Law at our number below or fill out the intake form. We offer a free initial case evaluation and handle cases on a contingency fee which means that you pay no money unless we recover.
Our law firm handles cases throughout the state including Bend and Portland Oregon, Redmond, Central Oregon, Sisters, Madras, Multnomah County, Deschutes County, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, Lane County, Medford, Gresham, La Grande, Albany, Medford, Beaverton, Umatilla, Pendleton, Cottage Grove, Florence, Oregon City, Springfield, Keizer, Grants Pass, McMinnville, Tualatin, West Linn, Forest Grove, Wilsonville, Newberg, Roseburg, Lake Oswego, Klamath Falls, Happy Valley, Tigard, Ashland, Milwakie, Coos Bay, The Dalles, St. Helens, Sherwood, Central Point, Canby, Troutdale, Hermiston, Silverton, Hood River, Newport, Prineville, Astoria, Tillamook, Lincoln City, Hillsboro, and Vancouver, Washington.
We also have an office in Minneapolis, Minnesota and take Nursing Home Abuse cases throughout the Twin Cities, including St. Paul, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Dakota County, Washington County, Anoka County, Scott County, Blaine, Stillwater, and Saint Paul Minnesota.
Please act quickly, there is a limited time (Statute of Limitations) in which you can bring a claim under the law.