Harmed by a Healthcare Provider? Learn How to Find the Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me in Oregon for Your Injuries and Type of Case
If you or your loved one was injured by a medical mistake, you may be wondering how do you proceed? If you or your loved one was injured by a medical error, you may be eligible for compensation for that error. However, it is important to ensure that you are working with a medical malpractice lawyer who is experienced in working with individuals like you have suffered harm due to medical error. Although it may seem like you just need to find a medical malpractice lawyer, there are multiple considerations to make. This includes the type of medical malpractice case you may have and the type of injuries you may have sustained. Not every lawyer will fit. That is why you need to search online to find the best medical malpractice lawyer near me in Oregon.
Here at Kuhlman Law, our bodily injury law firm has experience handling some of the most catastrophic medical malpractice and birth injury cases. We understand both the law and the medicine in handling these types of complex and devastating cases. Unlike other personal injury law firms that may refer out medical malpractice cases, we specifically market for and seek to handle medical malpractice cases ourselves. We do not farm out cases to other law firms and we take medical malpractice cases here in Oregon and also in Minnesota. In addition, we understand the complexities of medicine and we are able to ask difficult questions to doctors and their staff regarding what caused your unexpected injuries. To learn more about how we can help you and your family, please contact us today.
What Do We Mean by Finding the “Best” Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
When you are looking for the “best” of something, you may turn to blogs, websites, internet searches, colleagues, experts, and other individuals to help you vet a product, service, or other asset. But the “best” of anything is totally subjective, in most instances. This is particularly true when it comes to services that cannot be measured empirically, like what the best diaper is for your child or the best flooring for dog nail resistance to scratches.
When it comes to lawyers, they cannot advertise as the “best” lawyer for anything. That is subjective and misleading, thus it is even unethical. Simply put, any lawyer that says they are the “best” lawyer is asking for ethical trouble (and is likely not the best lawyer, anyway).
Rather, what we mean by saying finding the best medical malpractice lawyer near me in Oregon is to find the best lawyer for your type of case and your type of injury. That is a whole lot less subjective. For instance, the best lawyer for your birth injury case isn’t a bankruptcy lawyer. Or a workers’ compensation lawyer. It might not even be a medical malpractice lawyer. It will be a birth injury lawyer that handles injuries to neonates and infants.
The same is true based on the type of injury. The best birth injury lawyer for you might not be just any birth injury lawyer, but a birth injury lawyer that has also handled your type of damages that your child has. Sure, a birth injury lawyer that has experience handling cerebral palsy or brachial plexus nerve injury cases may be very knowledgeable and skilled. But if you have a kernicterus injury to your child, the best birth injury lawyer for your case and damages is likely to be a birth injury lawyer that has also handled kernicterus injuries. That is what we mean by finding the best medical malpractice lawyer near me in Oregon.
Finding the Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me in Oregon for Your Type of Case and Your Type of Injury: Starting Notes
If you or your loved one was injured due to a medical error, you need to find an experienced medical malpractice lawyer who represents patients and their loved ones. Finding the right medical malpractice lawyer may mean that you have to meet with or speak with a few different lawyers before finding the right lawyer to handle your case. Sometimes, an experienced lawyer will turn down cases for various reasons, so it can take some time to find the right lawyer for your case.
Some things you should specifically consider are your type of case and your type of injury. For instance, if you have an anesthesia injury you should look for a lawyer who has handled those types of cases. If you have a birth injury, you want to hire a lawyer who has also handled birth injuries before. The same is true for your injuries. If you have a traumatic brain injury or if a loved one has a brachial plexus nerve injury, you will want to hire a lawyer who has handled those types of cases before. Thus, finding the right medical malpractice lawyer is not just about finding just any lawyer, but also finding one who handles and has experience handling your types of case. This is particularly true with an injury such as cerebral palsy.
Other things that you should consider when choosing a medical malpractice lawyer include review of your state bar associations’ website to see if the attorney you are considering has ever received disciplinary information may be available including if the attorney has received any special recognition for their work, or if they belong to any medical malpractice lawyer groups. Another place to look is at the website for the lawyer’s firm. There should be a bio detailing their background and if they specialize in a particular area of law. Their page may include cases in which they successfully recovered compensation for victims.
Tips to Find the Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near You
You may be unsure as to where to start your search in finding a medical malpractice lawyer. Some of the best tips to search and to find the best medical malpractice lawyer near me include the following:
- Searching online – this is the most important thing that you can do for several reasons, including checking our people’s review of the lawyer, seeing what the lawyer advertises for, and vetting the lawyer online through peers, disciplinary reviews, and other factors
- Calling the local bar association – While the state bar association is a good place to find additional information about a specific lawyer you are considering, the local bar association will be able to provide you with a list of lawyers who are local in your region.
- Speak with physicians you know – While you should not speak to any physician who may have been involved in the incident that occurred, another physician may be able to provide insight into lawyers they are familiar with who may be able to help you with your case.
- Speak with your insurance company – Your health insurance company may be able to provide some insight regarding reputable medical malpractice lawyers in your area who may be able to help you.
- Ask people you know – People you know may be aware of strong and experienced medical malpractice lawyers near you who can help you with your case.
- Ask an attorney you may know – Even if the attorney you know does not have experience in your specialty, chances are that they know of medical malpractice lawyers locally that they may be able to recommend. Your goal is to find the best medical malpractice lawyer near me in Oregon for your type of case and your type of injury.
Making Your Decision
Once you feel that you may have found the right medical malpractice attorney to handle your case, you now have to make the necessary steps to get in touch with them for a case review. Typically you can contact them by their website, by phone, or by email. Some important questions to ask include the following:
- What percentage of medical malpractice cases you have had have successfully settled without a trial?
- What percentage of your cases are medical malpractice?
- What are the costs associated in working with this lawyer? While medical malpractice lawyers often have an agreement of no upfront fees until they recover compensation for your injuries, other lawyers do have upfront costs so it is important to fully understand the financial component of working with this lawyer.
- What percentage of the work is done by the lawyer vs. the paralegal or an assistant? While some tasks are commonly assigned to paralegals or assistants, it’s important to know that whatever lawyer you choose will be devoting the appropriate time and attention to your case.
- Have you handled medical malpractice cases like mine before?
- Have you handled medical malpractice injuries or damages like mine before?
These are just some questions that you can ask in your search for and to find the best medical malpractice lawyer near me in Oregon for your type of case.
How to Prepare for Your First Meeting With Your Lawyer
Once you have made the vital decision as to who you would like to work with for you or your loved one’s case, there are some steps you should take in preparing for your meeting to ensure that it goes as well as possible. Some preparative steps to take include the following:
- Bring your insurance information
- Bring all records you have available regarding your case – You can request records from your hospital or doctor’s office. This makes it easier for the lawyer to provide an initial review to determine if medical malpractice played a part in you or your loved one’s injury. They can then request additional records if needed.
- All prescription drug information – It is important to provide your lawyer the names, strengths, and doses of all the drugs you are taking as well as when you started taking these drugs.
- Medical bills – Bringing proof of any medical bills you have incurred as a result of your case and injury may be important in determining how much compensation you may be eligible for
- Information regarding lost income – If you were seriously injured by a medical provider’s error, you may have missed time out of work or may be unable to return to work. This also will help provide your lawyer valuable information when it comes to assessing for damages.
- Any documents given to you by your doctor or your doctor’s office
- Anything else you may feel is pertinent to your case
Unexpected Medical Outcome? We Hope This Helped You Search for and Find the Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me in Oregon
Searching online and trying to find the best medical malpractice lawyer near me in Oregon is important to protect your rights and your family’s rights. If you or a loved one have been seriously injured or killed as a result of medical malpractice contact the Oregon Medical Malpractice Lawyers at Kuhlman Law at our number below or fill out the intake form. We offer a free initial case evaluation and handle cases on a contingency fee which means that you pay no money unless we recover.
Our law firm handles cases throughout the state including Bend and Portland Oregon, Redmond, Central Oregon, Sisters, Madras, Multnomah County, Deschutes County, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, Lane County, Medford, Gresham, La Grande, Albany, Medford, Beaverton, Umatilla, Pendleton, Cottage Grove, Florence, Oregon City, Springfield, Keizer, Grants Pass, McMinnville, Tualatin, West Linn, Forest Grove, Wilsonville, Newberg, Roseburg, Lake Oswego, Klamath Falls, Happy Valley, Tigard, Ashland, Milwakie, Coos Bay, The Dalles, St. Helens, Sherwood, Central Point, Canby, Troutdale, Hermiston, Silverton, Hood River, Newport, Prineville, Astoria, Tillamook, Lincoln City, Hillsboro, and Vancouver, Washington.
We also have an office in Minneapolis, Minnesota and take medical malpractice cases throughout the Twin Cities, including St. Paul, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Dakota County, Washington County, Anoka County, Scott County, Blaine, Stillwater, and Saint Paul Minnesota.