Colonoscopies are one of the most common procedures. They are also one of the safest procedures, despite their invasive nature. In fact, there are over 14 million colonoscopies performed each year and 98.4% of all colonoscopies result in no complications from the procedure. However, that does not mean that all colonoscopies are performed without an issue. The remaining 1.6% of 14 million colonoscopies means there are over 224,000 instances of complications. Some of these complications can be very serious and result in permanent injury or wrongful death. If you have suffered a complication after a colonoscopy, please call our Oregon colonoscopy medical malpractice lawyers to learn what your rights are and how we can protect them.
What is a Colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy is a common medical procedure which uses a long and flexible instrument to look inside of your colon. The purpose of a colonoscopy is to look for damage or signs of disease inside of the colon, including cancer, Krohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis, and other ailments of the colon and intestines. The instrument has a camera and other apparatus to take bioscopies, remove polyps, and repair damage or incisions. During a colonoscopy a physician will inflate the colon by using forced air. This reduces friction of the instrument as it snakes through your colon, but also allows for an easier examination of the colon.
Common Colonoscopy Errors Due to Oregon Medical Malpractice
Even though over 98% of colonoscopies result in no complications, injuries and complications which do occur can be devastating and life-changing. This is particularly true because some reckless, careless, or negligent errors will go undetected. Other times a surgeon will realize the error and attempt to hide it by repairing the damage without telling the patient. This is dangerous because complications that occur would result in serious injuries or wrongful death. This is particularly because of an infection or sepsis, which are common when there is damage to the intestines, colon, or rectum.
Some of the most common colonoscopy errors due to substandard medical care and treatment in include the following:
Bend/Portland, Oregon Colonoscopy Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured or killed as a result of medical malpractice contact the Oregon Medical Malpractice Lawyers at Kuhlman Law at our number below or fill out the intake form. We offer a free initial case evaluation and handle cases on a contingency fee which means that you pay no money unless we recover.
We handle cases throughout the state including Bend and Portland Oregon, Redmond, Central Oregon, Multnomah County, Deschutes County, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, Lane County, Medford, Gresham, Albany, Medford, Beaverton, Umatilla, Pendleton, and Hillsboro.
We also have an office in Minneapolis, Minnesota and take medical malpractice cases throughout the Twin Cities, including St. Paul, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Dakota County, Washington County, Anoka County, Scott County, Blaine, Stillwater, and Saint Paul Minnesota.
Please act quickly, there is a limited time (Statute of Limitations) in which you can bring a claim under the law.
Know the Signs of Medical Malpractice and Mistreatment in Emergency Rooms While people seek attention in an emergency room for a medical emergency, unfortunately these
Learn Liability when the Delay in Diagnosis or Improper Treatment of Sepsis in Oregon Harms You or a Loved One Everyone in their lifetime will
Understanding How Fetal Monitoring Errors Can Result in a Birth Injury in Oregon During labor and delivery of a baby, both mother and baby are